It's one thing to look at the numbers of patients affected by fungal meningitis from the contaminated corticosteroids compounded by NECC. The numbers are staggering.
But, it's truly heartbreaking when you listen to the families of those who died after being injected with those contaminated medications. Then one can come to fully understand why this tragedy needs to be prevented from ever happening again, regardless of any regulatory hardships some compounding pharmacies may have to endure.
Here's a PBS Newshour presentation of one of those patients, Diana Reed, a beautiful 56-year-old Tennessee woman who was caretaker for her ALS-affected husband Wayne, and who died suddenly of fungal meningitis after receiving tainted steroids for neck pain.