Friday, December 9, 2011

The Designer Drug Conundrum

Yesterday, while at the dentist's office, I was reading a "dated" Time magazine and came across a blurb that said Katy Perry's, Teenage Dream album has recently tied with Michael Jackson's album, Bad, for the most #1 hits from a single album.

I mention this only because it made me realize my age, and just how much I may be out of touch with the youth of America. I had no idea who Katy Perry was and have never listened to any of her music. So, it probably goes without saying that I'm probably also out of touch with both the type and scope of designer drugs being abused by our young people today. I can't understand why they would so easily assume the risks associated with abusing these untested drugs?

Regardless of my ignorance, it seems to me that the abuse of designer drugs will probably be the next public health crisis involving young Americans.

I mean, how can the abuse be stopped when the demand for a legal high remains unchanged, and when it's so easy to change the chemical structure of a banned designer drug into a different (but similar) chemical with the same potential for abuse? It seems to me that the criminals can create different designer drugs faster than the medical system can show they cause harm and the legal system eventually ban them.

I just recently read where a purer and more potent form of ecstasy called "Molly" has been created, which has the potential for even greater long-term health damage when abused. Even "bath salts", the current rage in all of the party scenes, are being redesigned to be ten times more potent than the original versions.

Where does it all end? What's it going to take stop the continuous supply and demand for designer drugs? Is it time to just legalize all drugs and let the chips fall where they may? What do you think?

Source: ABC News Channel-15

5 comments:

  1. Well, there ya go. Unfortunately, it's not just young Americans abusing designer drugs.

    Demi Moore 911 call: 'She smoked something'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Users of bath salts report feeling no pain. Its effects include paranoia, hallucinations, convulsions and psychotic episodes.

    'This is a terrible drug because it takes a combination of methamphetamine, and the paranoia and the aggressiveness, and LSD, the hallucinations, and PCP, the extreme paranoia that you get, combines it into one, and has unpredictable effects on human behavior,'says Paul Adams, a doctor at Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital.

    Source: Bath salts addict filmed overdosing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to say that this blog really convinced me to do it! Thanks, very good post.
    buy Molly online

    ReplyDelete
  4. vomistop 10 mg is an enemy of infection medication. It encourages you to quit feeling or being debilitated. It can likewise be used to treat stomach torment in case you're having the end of life care.

    ReplyDelete