Monday, January 2, 2012

The Art Of Communication

I've worked in many different community pharmacies throughout my career, in many different cities, and in many different types of neighborhoods - especially more than a few ethnic neighborhoods. Personally, I prefer the ethnic neighborhoods because I like diversity and I find the customers much easier to work with compared to the demanding upper-crust customers. As a matter of fact, I even choose to live in an ethnic neighborhood.

But, with such diversity sometimes comes problems with communication. Some of my neighbors have limited understanding of the English language or have such thick accents that's it's often hard to understand what little English they can speak. However, all it takes to prevent misunderstandings and to get along is a little patience and the simple acts of open communication and active listening.

I think this video best describes what I mean about active listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment