Saturday, July 28, 2012

Error Prevention In The Lab

How many times have you been thrown to the wolves at work, without adequate training, and found yourself having to learn the hard way or having to suffer the consequences?

I've had plenty of jobs where I was given the bare minimum of training or orientation, left to fend on my own, and then was criticized, punished, or held personally liable if I did something wrong, even though I wasn't properly-trained, informed, or made aware of certain policies or procedures beforehand. I often refer to it as "being set up for failure".

Unfortunately, sometimes the consequences of this apathy towards error prevention can be tragic.


Source: Landmark worker death case continues against UCLA chemistry professor

1 comment:

  1. Isn't that always the way it is? The institution or corporation gets let off the hook while the front line guy gets left holding the bag.

    ReplyDelete